A Conversation with Tom
In continuing our coverage of the 2011 Phoenix Mayoral Election, we’re having a casual conversation with openly gay Phoenix City Councilman Tom Simplot. He represents District 4 in the City and we’re chatting about the important issues of the day and of the future.
Tom self-titles himself “The Gay Councilman” and recognizes his very important role in our local community. It’s great to have ‘one of our own” in City Hall to represent us. Tom shares with us some of his successes for the LGBT community, including fighting for the Domestic Partner Registry. He details just how difficult it can be to get something passed through the Council and how he has also lobbied other City Councils in the Valley for important ordinances that needed to go beyond the city limits.
Tom also discusses his longtime friendship with Mayoral Candidate Wes Gullett and why he decided to join his campaign. Also, what he feels that the next Mayor will face in terms of challenges ahead along with what an overall plan for managing the limited resources and budget in the future. Finally, Tom spells out a few of his ‘wish list’ items that he wants to see come to fruition before he leaves the Council later this decade.
The City of Phoenix Election is August 30 and is approaching fast. While Tom isn’t running right now, it’s important to vote for those who are indeed running! If you’ve already received your vote-by-mail ballot, be sure to listen to our various interviews, do your own research and VOTE! Remember that it’s your right as an American citizen and it’s important to help shape the future of your community.
For more information on the election, click over to the City of Phoenix Election website.
- The Agenda #25: Interview with Daniel Hernandez Jr.
- The Agenda #19: Do We Forgive
- The Agenda #18: Cliff Diving Averted
- The Agenda #13: Uganda Still Trying to Pass Anti-Gay Law
- The Agenda #11: Election Recap
- The Agenda #10: Sinema Files FEC Complaint Against Parker
- The Agenda #8: Coming Out With Guest Co-Host Nathan Treanor
- The Agenda #7: The Presidential Debate
- The Agenda #6: Arizona is Purple and Other Poll Results
- The Agenda #5: School Board Candidate Attacked for Being Gay